Edwardian era residence located at the prominent corner of Ladner Trunk Road and 72 Street. It is surrounded with foundation plantings and the property has a mix of perimeter mature deciduous and coniferous trees that screen the residence from the road.
Inverholme is a valuable legacy of Delta’s pioneering origins and reflects the development of large farms east of Ladner village. It serves as a tangible reminder of the prosperity and influence that agriculture historically had upon Delta. The property is part of a grouping of agricultural compounds in this area. One of the first sites in Delta to receive heritage designation, in 1994 the restoration of this historically and architecturally significant house earned the first heritage award from the Delta Heritage Advisory Committee.
Built in 1913-14, this house is directly associated with the prominent Paterson family, who named it ‘Inverholme’ after their ancestral home in Scotland. The Patersons were of considerable importance in the area. The first owner, Thomas Wilson Paterson (1851-1921), was at the time Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia. Alex D. and Lola Paterson and their family lived here and managed the farm; Alex Paterson was a long-time reeve of Delta and also served as the local MLA; he was responsible for planting the row of Normandy poplars that stand along 72 Street. The grand scale of the house indicates both the prosperity of the Patersons and the large size of families typical of the era.
Additionally, the heritage value of Inverholme lies in its superior design and craftsmanship as an example of Edwardian era architecture. The character of the house is defined by its simplicity and restrained detailing, and is notable for the gabled entry porch attached to a generous wraparound verandah with square tapered columns and a similar rear verandah. Inverholme is also significant as one of the largest commissions undertaken by prominent local designer and contractor, John B. Elliot (1857-1930), after whom one of Ladner’s streets is named. Elliot worked extensively throughout Delta, building most of the prominent early homes and many commercial buildings including canneries. The milled lumber for this house was imported from Oregon, indicating that large contracting operations such as Elliot's would sometimes have to make special arrangements to import building materials during boom periods when local supplies were unavailable.
Character defining elements:
Prominent corner location, set well back from the road in a rural context
Residential form, scale and massing as expressed by its one and one-half storey plus crawl space and tall attic height and irregular, rectangular plan
Compound cross-gabled roof clad with cedar shingles
Masonry elements, such as: scored concrete foundation; concrete staircases to porch and entries;
poured concrete verandah piers; verandah columns built partially of cast concrete with matching wooden columns above; and exterior and interior red brick chimneys
Wood-frame structure with horizontal lapped wooden siding with cornerboards and cedar shingles in the gable ends
Additional exterior features such as the gabled entry porch connected to the wraparound verandah; square tapered verandah columns; closed eaves; two bay windows; and rear verandah with porch above
Irregular fenestration, including: multi-assembly multi-paned double-hung wooden-sash windows;
casement windows in basement; feature window on front facade with double-hung windows flanking a larger window; fixed 6-paned windows; and 9-paned casements in front dormer
Original interior layout, including central staircase with surrounding upstairs hall providing central
access to bedrooms
Surviving original interior features such as its millwork, fir floors, doors, fireplaces, beamed ceilings
and decorative baseboards
Associated landscape features such as mature perimeter plantings including the row of Normandy
poplars along 72 Street, grassed front and rear yards and garden setting
Submitted to National Register: 2005
Designated: Bylaw 3212, Sept 12, 1983
Last Reviewed: Donald Luxton and Associates, 2005
Designated Heritage Property