Carbon Monoxide Safety

Fire-Safety-page

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless toxic gas. When inhaled, CO interferes with the blood's ability to absorb and transport oxygen. 

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels are burned incompletely. Tobacco smoking, idling gasoline-powered vehicles, and the burning of oil, coal, wood, charcoal, kerosene, propane or natural gas can all produce carbon monoxide. 

The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from regularly maintained appliances that are properly ventilated is extremely low. However, improperly installed, operated or poorly maintained appliances that use these fuels may create unsafe levels of CO. In enclosed spaces like your home, vehicle, cottage, boat, recreational vehicle or tent, even a small amount of CO is dangerous. 

Learn about carbon monoxide safety:

Expand all
  • How can I prevent a carbon monoxide hazard?
  • What is a carbon monoxide alarm?
  • What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
  • What should I do if CO poisoning is suspected?
  • Upcoming Events

    Special Council Meeting
    August 21, 2017
    Advisory Design Panel
    August 23, 2017

    All Events

  • Discover Delta

    Take in the natural beauty of Watershed Park.

    Learn More

  • Subscribe to our Newsletter

    Click Here
  • Find a Program/Activity