- Working smoke alarms increase your chances of surviving a fire by half.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home and outside each sleeping area. For maximum protection, install a smoke alarm in every bedroom.
- Test smoke alarms monthly. Change the battery in battery-operated smoke alarms at least once a year, or sooner if a beeping noise occurs.
- Never use a smoke alarm battery for another purpose. A disabled alarm can't save your life.
- Replace alarms more than 10 years old.
- Special smoke alarms are available for the hearing impaired.
Learn more about smoke alarms, including how to install and maintain them.