Development of the Delta Adaptation Strategy is was led by the BC Agriculture and Food Climate Action Initiative with the participation of local partners including the Delta Farmers’ Institute, the City of Delta and many Delta producers. The purpose of the Strategy is to identify priority climate change impacts for the Delta agriculture sector, and to develop suitable strategies and actions to address these impacts.
"I am pleased to provide our community with a new way to strengthen their understanding of local agriculture while learning about the challenges our farmers are facing,” said Mayor Lois E. Jackson. "This project will further support Delta's already strong agricultural economy and track record of excellence and leadership on projects relating to climate change."
Since the completion of the Strategy in the spring of 2013, $300,000 in funding has been committed through Growing Forward 2 - a federal, provincial, territorial initiative – to support implementation of priority actions as outlined in the Strategy.
Work to implement the plan is being lead by the BC Agriculture & Food Climate Action Initiative and the Delta Farmers' Institute with assistance from the working group comprised of select stakeholders. Delta staff was invited to sit on the working group and in November 2013, Council endorsed Delta's participation in the working group, Phase 2, and a cash contribution of $10,000 to be used during Year 1 for the agro-economic study and the communications strategy.
Year 1 projects include:
- A south of the Fraser study on the economic, agronomic and food production impacts of a storm surge flood event.
- A provincial-led on-farm emergency planning and mitigation measures program applied on-farm drainage management options.
- A communications strategy which aims to promote farming in Delta and provide information about the potential impacts of climate change to farming.
Council endorsed Delta's participation in Year 2 of implementation and a cash contribution of $10,000 on June 23, 2014.
Year 2 projects include:
Council endorsed Delta's participation in Year 3 of implementation and a cash contribution of $10,000 on September 15, 2015.
- Completion of a south of the Fraser study on the economic, agronomic and food production impacts of a storm surge flood event. View the summary report here.
- On-farm flood emergency planning and mitigation measures pilot study.
- Completion of the applied on-farm drainage management options study.
- Implementation of the communications strategy, which aims to promote farming in Delta and provide information about the potential impacts of climate change to farming.
Year 3 projects include:
- Completion of the communications strategy. You can view the new website here and the videos here.
- A salinity study of the south arm of the Fraser River. There is a need to improve our understanding of the salt wedge behaviour in the entire river channel with respect to irrigation and the impacts of climate change. The study will study the salt wedge and include a sensitivity analysis of salinity levels based on the various combinations climate change impacts, sea level rise and potential dredging scenarios.
Reports and Related Documents