Applicants must meet all
of the following required qualifications to be considered for employment:
- Legal entitlement to work in Canada (Canadian Citizenship / Landed Immigrant / Permanent Residence Status)
- Certificate of Completion of NFPA 1001 Levels 1 and 2 from an approved Pro Board or IFSAC accredited firefighter training program
- High School graduation or equivalent
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence, Class 3 with Air Brake endorsement
- Driver’s Abstract providing your most recent five year driving history dated within 30 days prior to application submission date. Candidates must demonstrate safe and responsible driving behaviour. More than six points is considered excessive and may eliminate you from the process. Other aspects of your driving record will also be considered.
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) Certificate, current within one year from the application submission date
- Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) Licence or higher. Licence must be kept valid throughout recruitment process. See the Ministry of Health website for licencing information.
- Standard for Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Incidents - Operations Level (NFPA 472)*
- Community Volunteer Experience
- Physically and medically fit to perform the job of a Firefighter according to the standards set out in NFPA 1582
- No conviction for a criminal offence related to the job of a Firefighter.
* Pro Board or IFSAC accredited certification not required; must provide documented proof that training meets or exceeds the appropriate NFPA standards.