The purpose of the Parks, Recreation & Culture Commission is to provide advice to Council and staff with respect to planning, development, use, operation and service delivery of all recreation and culture programs, civic buildings, properties, parks, open space and sport fields. The Commission is established and guided by Delta Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission Establishment Bylaw No. 5959, 2003.
The Commission will, consistent with the general purpose described above, undertake the following:
- Follow Council approved work plans
- Ensure that community access to municipal facilities is fair and equitable
- Set service levels respecting Council approved budgets
- Determine priorities with respect to lifestyle and development expenditures for all parks and facilities
- Provide advice on heritage and cultural activities
- Make recommendations to Council on services provided by not-for-profit agencies via Fee for Service Contracts
The Commission is also responsible for developing an annual fees and charges schedule consistent with budgetary direction of Council. The Commission also facilitates requests of the Kirkland House Foundation, Delta Museum and Archives Society, Ladner Harbour Fishers’ Committee, Arts Facilitation Committee and Delta School District #37.
At the end of each calendar year, the Commission will present Council with a commission report that includes a summary of annual achievements and a proposed Work Program for the coming year. If the Commission meets six or more times per year, then the Commission shall also provide a 6-month progress report.
The Commission shall meet ten (10) times per year and/or at the call of the Chair.
The Commission shall consist of eleven (11) members appointed or as otherwise directed by Council, who shall serve without compensation as follows:
- Chair - TBD
- Councillor Dan Copeland, Vice-Chair
- Councillor Alicia Guichon, Alternate Vice-Chair
- Barbara Baydala
- Rod Binder
- Ross Collicutt
- Dave Fair
- Peter Mattoo
- Janet Pachal
- Denise Anne Reid
- Don Sangster
- Cal Traversy
- Garry Wilson
- Ken Kuntz, Director of Parks, Recreation and Culture
- Diana Cousins, Senior Policy Analyst
- Param Grewal, Director of Inter-Governmental Affairs