Secondary suites provide rental housing and contribute to the amount and diversity of housing available in Delta, while preserving the character of residential neighbourhoods.
What You Need to Know
Secondary suites must meet the regulations of Delta's Zoning Bylaw and the BC Building Code, but are permitted in most single detached houses in Delta.
- Only one secondary suite may be permitted per single detached dwelling. Secondary suites cannot be strata-titled or sold, but can be used for family or as long term rental units.
- Every secondary suite must be provided with an on-site parking space.
- Secondary suites are not allowed in duplexes.
- Some properties may have prohibitions for secondary suites on title within a restrictive covenant or land use contract. Owners considering applying for a secondary suite should review all documents on title. A pre-requisite development application may be required to amend or discharge a covenant or land use contract.
- If you have questions about eligibility for or how to legalize a secondary suite, contact the Application Centre at email@example.com or 604-946-3380.
Constructing or Legalizing a Secondary Suite
All applications to install or legalize an existing secondary suite will require a building permit issued through the Community Planning & Development Department. Secondary suites may also require a rental permit or a non-rental annual declaration.
Unauthorized Secondary Suites
Secondary Suite Search
Use the tool below to search for Delta properties with a valid Secondary Suite Permit to rent the Secondary Suite.
DISCLAIMER: The information provided by this inquiry is for general information and convenience purposes only. While we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, the City of Delta makes no representations or warranties about the completeness, accuracy, reliability or suitability of the information for your purposes.