Delta's first Social Action Plan was approved in 2018 and identifies goals and actions to enhance social supports and strengthen Delta's social fabric. Since that time, important progress has been made in creating and enhancing community partnerships and implementing actions that further Delta's goal to be a more inclusive, diverse and connected community.
In 2019, Council directed staff to update the plan to provide the City with a better understanding of community needs, pressures and gaps in service provision. It is also an opportunity to recognize community assets and identify key social planning priorities and actions to make Delta a more inclusive and healthy community. Additionally, an updated social action plan will assist in understanding the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on our community and systemic and emerging challenges faced by the City.
- Phase One: The first phase of updating Social Action Plan for Delta was focused on needs assessment by analyzing demographic and social trends, reviewing current municipal plans and engaging with youth and various community partners. This two-year process informed the development of a draft Social Action Plan that was presented to Council on December 6, 2021.
- Phase Two: On December 6, 2021, an updated draft 2022-2027 Social Action Plan for Delta was approved by Council and staff was directed to launch phase two of public engagement. The goal of this phase is to engage Delta residents and community partners and encourage them to submit their feedback regarding the strategies and goals.
Delta's draft 2022-2027 Social Action Plan identifies seven strategic priorities. Each section of the Social Action Plan provides details about why this theme is important for Delta, what community assets/challenges exist, and what the City has learnt from initial consultations on each priority:
- City of Delta - Leading the Change
- Healthy Delta
- Thriving Children and Youth
- Safe and Resilient Delta
- Active and Engaged Seniors
- Housing and Caring for Delta
- Inclusive and Accessible Delta
Visit our Virtual Engagement page at letstalk.delta.ca/socialactionplan to participate, complete an online survey, and learn more about this project.
The City of Delta partnered with teachers and administrators from Delta School District (DSD) and SFU students to develop a toolkit to support DSD educators in engaging K-12 students in the classroom to participate in the SAP - Phase 2 Update. Download the Guide for Delta Educators.