Highway Use Permit


A Highway Use Permit (HUP) is required for activities that impact our highways, including:

  • Driveway construction,
  • Boulevard alterations,
  • Storage bin placement on roadways,
  • Moving oversized loads, and
  • Special events (parades, race events, block parties, signs).

The total charge for a HUP is $101 plus applicable taxes.

HUP Application Form

Applications for a HUP for may require all (or some) of the following:

  • Insurance Certificate naming the City of Delta as additional insured in the amount of $2 million. For Block Parties, applicants can apply for special insurance coverage under the City’s Parks, Recreation and Culture Department's Special Events Insurance.
  • Traffic Management Plan (review your plan with the Engineering Department in the early stages of planning)
  • Site map showing location and pertinent details
  • Drawing(s) showing construction details
  • Photographs of project
  • Security deposit
  • WCB certification
  • Delta Business License
  • Events where alcohol may be served require special permits from Delta Police
  • Block parties can take place only between the hours of 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM on Saturdays, Sundays and statutory holidays 
  • Additional information may be required
  • Applicants are also required to obtain the relevant Delta bylaws to ensure their application is in compliance.

Police, Fire, Ambulance, Transit and other agencies must be notified of the event when necessary.

Contact the Engineering Department at 604-946-3260 or by email at engineering@delta.ca to learn more or ask questions.